Custer Lives!

Custer Homes in Monroe, Michigan


The Judge Bacon house was originally located at 126 South Monroe Street. In 1911 the house was moved to it's present site on Cass Street. When Judge Bacon died in 1866 the house would become a temporary residence for George and Libbie Custer. When the General arrived from out of town, the Monroe band would play "Garry Owen" while the townspeople formed a parade to escort the General home.



Emanuel Custer, General Custer's father, had his first house in Monroe at about 15415 South Dixie Highway. Emanuel Custer only stayed about six months before returning to Ohio after some of his horses were stolen. Nothing of the residence is left today.



Emanuel Custer's second house as it appears today. With the exception of the siding, the home is pretty much as it was when he lived there. Father Custer borrowed part of the down payment for the house from his son-in-law David Reed.

George and his brother Nevin jointly purchased this house on 116 acres for $5,280 in 1871. Libbie Custer spent her first year as a widow at this farm before moving to New York City. Before she left she sold the farm to Nevin for one dollar. Dandy, General Custer's favorite horse, was sent there by the surviving Officers of the 7th Cavalry after the battle. Dandy is believed to be buried somewhere on the property today.


The County Jail and parking lot currently sit where Libbie Custer last stayed in Monroe. Mrs. Andrew Vivian, Libbie's Cousin, was the owner. Libbie stayed at the house in December 1915 when she attended Nevin Custer's funeral on December 27th. Libbie never returned to Monroe after her husband's statue was moved from Loranger Square in the 1923.





In June 10, 1910 Libbie Custer stayed here while attending the dedication of the Sighting The Enemy Statue.

It is generally believed the David Reed house was located at the corner of 4th and Monroe Street. General Custer lived here with his half-sister Lydia. It was on the porch of the home that Judge Bacon observed the General drunk and deemed him unsuitable for Libbie. Lydia sternly lectured George after he sobered up and he never drank another drop of alcohol. Lydia's son, Harry Armstrong Reed, died at the Little Big Horn on Last Stand Hill.


Custer Monroe Vacation Menu

Custer Lives! Main Menu